01604 212732
7:30am - 10pm
Head Office: 3 Sunningdale Close, Northampton NN2 7LR
THS Plumbing & Heating Northampton
our gas safe id: 517522

What Are A Landlord’s Responsibilities? (Updated 2022)

Gas Safety Certificates and Plumbing Repairs: What Are A Landlord’s Responsibilities?

If you have been a landlord for many years, you are likely to be aware of all the legal responsibilities you have when it comes to keeping your property (or properties) in good condition. But if you’re just starting out, there may be some things you’re not quite sure of yet.

It’s best to get to grips with what you need to do as a landlord as soon as possible, so that you know what to do when a tenant comes to you with a gas, plumbing or electrical problem.

Read our short guide below to find out where you stand when it comes to plumbing, heating and electrical repairs.

What are a Landlord’s Responsibilities?

As a landlord, you are responsible for most repairs in the property you own. This includes the structure and exterior of the building; electrical wiring; chimneys and ventilation; heating and hot water; pipes and drains; and sanitary fittings such as toilets, sinks and baths. It also includes any communal spaces such as shared kitchens.

The law states that if any item you have provided becomes faulty, it is your responsibility to replace it. And if internal decorations are damaged during repairs, it is also your responsibility to ensure these are fixed. As this is the law, it applies even if the tenancy agreement says something different.

Who is Responsible for Gas Appliances?

The gas supply and appliances in the home must be in a safe condition, and they must be fitted or repaired by a Gas Safe registered engineer. These appliances may include gas pipework, gas cookers, gas boilers, gas fires, and gas water heaters.

Tenants are responsible for any gas appliances that they own themselves, but you are responsible for any flues, pipework or chimneys they are connected to.

Installing Carbon Monoxide Detectors

If the property has a coal fire or wood burning stove, carbon monoxide detectors must be installed. The detector must be in proper working order when it is installed and at the start of all new tenancies. At all other times, it is the tenant’s responsibility to check it is still working and contact you if it needs replacing or new batteries.

Carbon monoxide detectors are recommended for all homes with gas or oil heaters and boilers, but you do not legally have to supply one.

Landlords Gas Safety Certificates

Landlords need to arrange an annual gas safety inspection to be carried out by a registered Gas Safe engineer. When this inspection is carried out you will receive a Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) which will be valid for twelve months.

If a problem is found with any of the gas installations in the home, they will be made safe by disconnecting faulty equipment and arranging for your gas supply to be cut off.

The Gas Safety Certificate, or Gas Safety Record, will list details of what was checked in the property and any problems we found. This includes the following:

A description and location of each appliance/flue checked

Name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check

Date on which the check was carried out

The address of the property where the appliance/flue is installed

The name and address of the landlord (or their agent where applicable)

Any safety defect identified and any action required or taken to rectify it

Confirmation of the results of the operational safety checks carried out on the appliances

This is the minimum information that will be on the Landlord’s Gas Safety Record – there may be other information on the report depending on the work that needs to be carried out.

The Gas Safety Record must be provided to tenants before they move in (if they are new tenants), and within 28 days of the gas safety check being carried out.

Compulsory electrical safety report

It is now official, the government has announced new electrical safety regulations which will apply to all new tenancies in England from the 01st of July 2020 and all existing tenancies from 1st of April 2021.

The majority of landlords are proactive when it comes to ensuring the safety of their tenants and make a welcome contribution to the housing market. But a minority fail to do so, putting their tenants in danger as a result.

These new Regulations require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent. We recommend that you use an electrician who is PartP approved.

This is a major step towards levelling up the private rented sector, making sure it will offer high-quality, safe and secure housing. Along with our social and owner-occupied sectors, this is housing this country deserves.

However if you do choose another electrician they must be part of the registered competent person scheme established by the government in 2014.

ST Electrical Northampton Ltd is part of the scheme. This means they are able to carry out installation or remedial work as well as undertake an electrical safety report.

What is included as part of the electrical inspection?

The testing of electrical appliances such as cookers, fridges, televisions is not included as part of the inspection.

There are any overloaded electrical installations within the property.

Identify possible risks of electrical fire.

Check that all electrical work is in good order and there is no malfunction.

There is insufficient earthing and bonding.

You can find out more about the new electrical reports on the ST Electrical Northampton Ltd website.

At THS Plumbing & Heating Northampton we are Gas Safe registered – we can carry out the required checks to ensure your property is safe, and provide you with gas safety certificates. We can also service and repair all your gas appliances during the same visit.

If you’re a landlord in the Northampton, Wellingborough or Kettering area and need a plumber to provide a gas safety certificate or carry out any other services or repairs, call 01604 212732 and we’ll be happy to help you.

Head Office:

THS Plumbing & Heating Northampton

3 Sunningdale Close



Tel: 01604 212732

Open: Monday-Sunday 7:30am - 10:00pm

whatsapp chat with a plumber