Highlighting the importance of always using a qualified plumber and a gas safe registered engineer.
Do you ask to see your plumbers gas safe ID card when he arrives at your home?
Chances are, probably not.
Consumer psychologist Dr Simon Moore a Chartered Psychologist and Partner of the award-winning psychological/behavioural strategy agency Innovationbubble.eu says:
Our trust of tradespeople, plumbers especially, is based on a variety of factors such as personal presentation, their body language and how official they look, not always on their qualifications.
Cutting corners on gas safety is very dangerous, having an unqualified plumber work on your boiler can result in a much more dangerous situation for you and your family.
More than 50 per cent of people have let a tradesperson into their home without checking whether they are qualified to do the job. While gas engineers were found to be the most trusted tradespeople, not checking they are registered could be leaving families at risk.
“People are letting tradespeople into their homes without checking their ID,” says Jonathan (Chief executive at Gas Safe Register). “When it comes to hiring gas engineers, our message is clear: don’t cut corners and always use a Gas Safe registered engineer to know that they are working legally with the correct qualifications in place.
THS Plumbing & Heating Northampton are fully qualified plumbers, registered gas safe engineers, ID no. 517522.
The research highlights the factors that make people trust a tradesperson:
- Personal presentation (44%)
- How official they look (43%)
- Body language (25%)
- Personality (22%)
- A friendly face (18%)
To keep you and your family safe, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- Know the symptoms of CO poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness. View our CO blog post
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
- If you need an emergency plumber: Contact our emergency plumber on 01604 212732.